"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." Psalm 23:5

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chewing On My Perspective


My youngest grandson really enjoys pulling my reading glasses from my face and giving them a workout.  Often I’ll put them precariously on his button nose only to have him smile wide, likely due to seeing Grammy’s features suddenly magnified.  Then he will reach slowly with his chubby little hands and remove them to give them a good shake or two.  Ultimately, he will put the earpieces in his mouth and add to the striped design tiny marks with his adorable new teeth.  My daughter remarked last weekend, “Mom, I hope you don’t mind teeth marks on your glasses.”  And of course, I do not!!  Her comment however did cause me to think about my grandson seeing life through my lenses and chewing on my perspective. 

The next morning I put my glasses on, lenses blurred with dried drool.  While cleaning them I felt the marks left by his tiny teeth, and meditated more on the importance of fixing my eyes on Jesus for his sake as well as mine, for he will be strongly influenced by my view of God, of life, of family, of the world.  Ideally, he will taste and see that the Lord is good as a young child through my lenses, and see Him magnified through my outlook.  Gazing long at Jesus will result in glory shine on my face, radiance enhanced by years spent with Him, sparkle in the eye that betrays knowing King of Kings.  This is what I pray he sees in his Grammy when he studies her face.

Jaxon's Grandmothers: Sherrie (Meme) and Terry (Grammy)

I’m learning my perspective will also be altered by my grandson’s if I allow for that to occur.  Just as his drool on my glasses blurred the sharp edges of everything viewed, so his innocent and simple viewpoint may in fact bring clarity to my vision, and free me of overanalyzing, critically judging, and taking things too seriously.  Yes, the overlay of a child’s view on my aged eye, misshapen through years by disappointment, surely will teach me to see many things afresh and aright.  I pray for humility to receive from my grandson(s), as a contact lens on my own eye, the correction needed to see life clearly.


Sometimes the Lord’s heart is seen best by all through a shift in priorities, a change in plans.  Last Sunday He reset my agenda when my oldest grandson entered the kitchen and suggested we make his Mom breakfast in bed.  Seeing the fire in his eyes, I knew this was to take priority over my going to the earlier church service I planned to attend.  While I made waffles, he picked roses and dandelions to adorn his Mom’s breakfast tray – oh, and one extra special rose for her to put in her hair!  He excitedly made her some chocolate milk in a stemmed glass, and arranged her tray just so before carefully carrying it to her room.  I followed with a tray for him and later for myself, because he insisted we all eat together on her bed.  He mentioned we needed to pray, and then told me about a conversation he had with his babysitter on the subject of going to heaven.  She is an unbeliever, my nine year old grandson a budding evangelist.  My first worship service of the day took place in bed with a breakfast tray on my lap!!

Nelson and His Mom Lori


Second service occurred at a courtside table where I watched my son play the final match of a tennis tournament he took part in all weekend.  I had missed all but this game and felt the Lord saying, please join Me in supporting Matt this morning.  With each hard won point, God and I celebrated His overcoming power now wonderfully evident in my son’s life!!  Not only did my son and grandson gain perspective on the relational priority of Jesus that morning, but I too saw through them the glory of the Lord and the spontaneity of His affection.

 


Worshiping at Table,
Terry
For more inspirational reading visit www.bloggerspirit.blogspot.com 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing these delightful experiences.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete